Sunday, June 22, 2008

Change of Plans

Here is a good example of the position I find myself in:

You come home from work and run upstairs to take a shower from a hard day’s labor and you soon find that you are dizzy, your eyes are burning and everything is blurry, and you feel like you are hyperventilating. Which problem do you address first??? Neither. You need to run out of there as fast as you can because your house is on fire.

I have come out here with the express purpose of completing this road trip in an effort to deal with my father’s passing and sort of “regroup” myself. But what I have discovered since my arrival is more akin to “the house being on fire”. Despite how badly I want to go on this tribute ride I cannot help but think that my father would much rather me stay here for a week and put this fire out. The bike trip is only what I want do, but not necessarily what I need to do. I suppose I ought to follow the words of the great primary song “Do what is right” when it sings, “Do what is right, let the consequence follow”.

I suppose I can ride to the beach and around town with John and Kevin and some of Dad’s buddies during the week while tending to matters of greater importance at home here and ship the bike out to California at the end of the week. Perhaps I can reflect on Dad as we do paperwork…and fix he spigot ….and fix the sprinklers….and deal with insurance companies…..and take mom to her doctor’s appointments…. and snake the tub in the bathroom…..etc

I hope that you will all continue to read this blog despite the changes in plans. I will continue to blog each day and event, with pictures of his local friends and places of interest.

The story of this post is not about Dad- it is about Mom. I just can’t help it. Mom just came up to me a few minutes ago as I was typing and I read some of the previous posts to her. What happened after I finished the last story explained A LOT. The following dialogue ensued:

Mom: (half asleep and tapping on my laptop) I need to get one of these.
Vinny: Why?
Mom: So that I can take it with me and communicate.
Vinny: ??????? (she has a desktop computer)
Mom: You know so I can take it with me doctor’s offices and things and email. I want to keep up with the 20th century.
Vinny: Yeah- it’s actually the 21st century now, mom.
Mom: Oh.

1 comment:

grammie sue sue said...

Hi Vinny: Glad to hear of "change of plans." I didn't like thinking of you traveling so far by yourself! I am happy you are staying close to your mom's home for the week. I know there are many things to take care of but I hope you can also rest, feel at peace and just enjoy time with your mom. I send many hugs and kisses to you as well as your mom. Susan