Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The motorcycle hospital










Dad's bike is sick. Sad but true. The left turn signal has not worked for a while now. Dad did not get it fixed but meant to. I don't want to mess around with it not working, since I am not as experienced as my Dad at riding. I took it to the bike shop he uses.

Quick Draw Motorcycles
728 Ballough Rd Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386) 253-0900

It took me a while to find the place. It is a hole-in-the-wall. It is locate just past the fancy, modern, well-decorated Harley Davidson dealership and then just after the big motorcycle repair shops. As I pulled up to it it made me smile. I remember as a kid Nicole and I would go get pizza at this place where they actually threw the pizza dough with one hand and a smoked a cigarette with the other. I think the name of the shop may have been tattooed on the guy's forearm. Led Zeppelin music was so loud you had to shout your order and the grease that came off the pizza was 10 weight 40. It was not pretty. It was not comfortable. But the pizza was the best in town! And so I pull up to this place....One bay door, small operation. Two large dogs in the shop, motorcycle parts everywhere, the air was filled with grease and smelled of WD40. The owner, Mike, wore a ripped muscle shirt baring his biceps and tattoos, and greeted me with a stiff handshake and a smile, remembered my father vividly, and remembered his bike exactly. This was my father’s kind of bike shop. I can totally see why he would bring his bike here. It made perfect sense. If I have any other issues with the bike I am sure I will be bringing it back here. This is my Dad's kind of shop.

They are working on it right now. I am sitting acorss the street at Captains Jacks Restaurant. It's located at the marina. I am sitting at a window watching the sailboats go by.

Somewhere in my stomach there is a plate of fried shrimp and onion rings trying to get out. Thanks, Captain. From now on the only Captain I am dealing with is Captain Crunch.
...I wish Mike owned a pizzeria as well as a motorcycle shop.
Later- ;-)








No comments: